Located 100 m to the east Yan Family Garden, the Mingyue Temple seen from afar renders a religious atmosphere and reverent feelings surrounded by apricot-coloured walls and with smoke coiling up to the sky.
The temple was built by monk Mingzhi in the 2nd year of Qingtai Period of Later Tang (935), and was incorporated into Puxian Temple in the early years of Hongwu Period of Ming. In the 16th year of Guangxu Period of Qing (1890), it was rebuilt by monk Daogen. The temple was damaged in the Cultural Revolution and was rebuilt and opened to public in 1993. There is a large plot of pear orchid near the Mingyue Temple and the pear blossoms bloom like a sea in early spring, rendering a splendid scene for the old town. The verse of "The blooming pear blossoms of Mingyue Temple, the grazing land for cattle" by Li Guo of the Qing Dynasty has been well circulated.
Scan the QR code to read on your phone
Copyright Suzhou Mudu Tourism Development Co., Ltd. All rights reserved